The Do’s and Don’t’s of Venture Investing
When I first started investing, I got a lot of advice. Most people had the same thoughts on what to look for - the “Do’s” of venture investing. None of these were surprising and remain the case today. Do:
- work with great founders;
- look for big markets;
- yada yada
And many gave me advice about what not to do - the “Don’t’s.” Here are some the “Don’t’s” that I’ve heard along the way. Don’t:
- invest in married founders;
- invest in single founders (i.e., no second founder);
- invest in non-technical founders;
- invest in founders that you can’t drive to;
- invest in a company where the person who came up with the idea is not the person who executes on the idea;
- invest in music startups;
- invest in hardware.
I learned the hard way that there are no “Don’t’s” in venture investing. If you...
Continue reading →